Awassa Children’s Center provides care and support for approximately 100 children in Awassa, Ethiopia, most who have been orphaned by the AIDS epidemic. The children are given the necessary nutrition, clothing, housing, education, and counseling required for a healthy upbringing, and in-turn, the opportunity to become a self-reliant and active member of the Awassa community.
Here are some of the highlights of the Awassa Children’s Center’s focus areas:
* Housing. ACC is home to over 75 onsite children under the age of 14 and off-site support for over 25 teens between the ages of 14 and 18. The children at ACC live together as a family. They are provided a secure and loving household with a trained housemother’s support and guidance. We aim to provide as close to a family setting as possible for every child. The “mothers” at ACC are devoted to the well-being of their children; striving to provide for each child’s needs.
*The Children’s Center is currently expanding its housing! The completion of a new house for boys is in the final stages of construction. This will allow the center to provide proper space for it’s more recently admitted youth. Please see our facebook page for photos and progress updates.
* Education. All the admitted children attend local private or government schools. They are provided with uniforms, school supplies and materials. Their tuition is subsidized by the center. An after-school tutorial program is offered to all students and continues to strengthen their academic success. The Center has its own library to provide quality reading material, research resources, and a space for study, tutorial sessions, and art programs.
A summer camp program is an annual highlight for the children’s learning experience and fun!
* Health Care. The Center’s onsite clinic and nurse provide most healthcare and sanitation needs of the children. The nurse oversees the nutritional requirements and provisions of each household, as well as evaluation of and management of the children’s hygiene. Periodic clinical treatment, preventative health services, medical check-ups, and awareness education on various health issues are also provided.
* Counseling Support. The counseling section of the center is organized by the on-staff social worker. The children’s social and psychological health, as well as educational follow-up and extra curricular activities, are all tended to in order to reduce mental, spiritual, and social stress on the children. We value the over-all wellbeing of every child.
* New Children Settle-in! The “new’ children at the Center are not so new any more. They are now moving into their 9th month of life at the center! They continue to brighten each day at the Children’s Center with their laughter and are a great addition to the family!
* Pre-School Services The onsite preschool continues to provide a great environment for learning and all children are making great strides in both Amharic and English!